Saturday, January 21, 2017

Hong Kong Travels - Day 1

It's been over 12 years since I've last traveled to Asia so it felt like a good time to fix that by taking a few weeks off and jumping on the next available flight to Hong Kong. An incredibly long 14 hour flight...I did see a few movies to help with the time pass quickly.

Prior to coming here I searched through numerous blogs to find the best places to visit and any good tips for traveling through Hong Kong. Everyone has great tips and photos but hey, what's wrong with adding some more things to the blogosphere? I'm going to avoid putting obvious tips that much better bloggers have already offered, ie. getting an Octopus card for ease of payment or the vast 7-Elevens/Circle K's to look out for. Instead, I'll try to share a few things I hadn't thought about prior to arrival.

Tip one: Bring your own packets of tissues or buy some upon arrival. Restaurants and public toilets do not provide napkins or toilet paper.

I'm not really what most consider a "foodie" though I do enjoy good meals and unique foreign delectables. Though I am on vacation so I am conveniently trying good meals and unique foreign delectables so I decided to take advantage of my downtime and share some yummy meals.

As soon as we landed and dropped off our luggage, we headed towards a little dim sum place called Gut Gut Dim Sum in Kwun Tong. It's a little restaurant in one of those steep side streets where the dim sum is ordered on a sheet and delivered fairly quickly - hot and fresh too!

Tip two: Upon receiving the table settings of plates, bowls, cups, spoons, and chopsticks restaurants provide a little bowl and a teapot of hot water for you to use to clean your utensils. People will pour the tea into the teacup and rise the rest of the tableware into the separate bowl.

Tip three: Coming from USA makes eating in foreign countries quite challenging as we are so accustomed to large portions. This restaurant had portions of two per plate so if you're ordering for the first time make sure you double check!

Restaurant review time - we ordered the usuals: phong jau, shu mai, chasu baos, and rice cake. All were tasty and had a slightly different flair from our usual Los Angeles dim sums. The shu mai was actually much bigger than expected and had a chewier texture. The phong jau (probably spelled that terribly...I'm trying to say chicken feet :D) had a nice flavor and very soft yet chewy texture. My overall assessment was that the meal was great and my parents are ready to come back for round two.

Ok, that's it from me for now...more later!



Later now -
After going through a very long bus ride to the airport, checking in at Terminal 2 and then having to transfer on two subway cars back to Terminal 1 we made it to the gate for the next part of our trip. With the clock ticking towards the boarding time, we rushed to the nearby fast food restaurant to get a bite to eat.

I won't go into great detail about the meal because we all finished it in great haste within 15-20 minutes. But I will say that Hong Kong is fairly well known for their fish balls and fish ball-related foods. The texture of the fish balls are firm and chewy but soft and juicy as well... I know there are a lot of innuendos here and my childish husband would be giggling but oh well... If you are looking for a good and quick meal, I would suggest finding a restaurant that serves soupy noodles with fish balls because they are little bursts of flavor for your palette.

We've now arrived at Sabah, Malaysia to really start the vacation so I will try to provide more updates soon! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment