Monday, January 30, 2012

Gratuity caps it

January 30. One more day so let me make this post count. 




Today, Monday Le Suck Day, I am grateful for my teeth.






You, as the reader, are probably reacting in one of two ways. Either one, you are not a close personal friend and do not know about my insecurities and terrible experiences. OR you are a close friend and you are screaming at the computer, "Why?!?!"







Well, my friends - at this point in my life (a good 25 years) I am constantly discovering new things about myself and my surroundings. Some good, some bad, all important. I realize (and have shared countless times) that life is all about learning. You take one path in life, make mistakes, and then learn from the mistakes and take another path. Trial and error.




Off on a tangent already, back on point. For the past few years, I have been a big proponent of the statement: "Everything happens for a reason." I cannot extend this thought to losing someone special in life, but in terms of my personal life experiences I do believe in fate.






Nothing in my life could be the same if specific circumstances did not take place the way they had taken place. Am I losing anyone? 






Anyway, the reason I prefaced this entire post with so much blah blah blah is because I never ever thought I would spend my second to last post for my Gratuity series by saying that I am grateful for my teeth. 




Why did I hate my teeth? I believe I have an iron deficiency that is a bit more than the usual person, resulting in a lot of cavities and root canals. At age 13, my dentist deemed my teeth too fragile to handle all these cavities and suggested replacing my six front teeth with six dental crowns...eep. Long story short, I spent most of my adolescence insecurely smiling with my mouth shut.


















Unfortunately the crowns are larger than my original teeth so the stuck out more and resulted in me creating a very "donkey-like" pose when relaxing.












It goes without saying that I am incredibly sensitive about this issue as it was a bit out of my control, but little in life happens without a reason. I believe that this amount of discomfort and unhappiness has contributed greatly in the confidence I have today. 










Sure, my teeth are still incredibly large in my eyes. Sure, my relaxed profile results in "donkey" teeth. Sure, I did have confidence issues but ...which teenager/young adult/adult/mature adult doesn't?










I can look at myself now and realize that life is too short to worry about the little things. I am beautiful just the way I am. I am confident, I am strong, and I am happy. Today I can smile the biggest toothy smile that my face will physically allow.



















And if you don't like it then...














Too freaking bad.














1 comment: