Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Tadao Ando





Ever heard of him? Seen him? Still no? Well time to employ Google and get to know of his work.
Whether you are involved in the architectural world or not, you will surely find inspiration and awe in Tadao Ando's work. 





Church of Light in Osaka, Japan



Shibuya Station in Tokyo



No, I will not be engaging in an in-depth discussion (4 page essay) about this man But after attending his lecture at the Hammer Museum tonight, here are my thoughts:






He is an architect that is world renowned for his amazing structural creations. But it did not require intensive education, it was all self-taught/intuitive/understood through experience. Impressive.



This bit of information has inspired me to seek beyond the knowledge taught from an educational curriculum. School can only teach us so much before we need to take it to the next step. Work is limiting and often mundane in the routine. We as emotional and spiritual beings need to find that inner urge to learn more.




I wish I could find a niche like Ando did, something that I just felt inclined to learn and practice. And I want to be able to do it well. 




His speech was given entirely in Japanese and translated through his colleague, the message did not lose its value.




We must always try to step out of our comfort zones and attempt to challenge the norm. It is only through struggles that there is change. He urged the audience that in their youth they should take advantage of the opportunities at hand. It is never too late to learn and we will never be too old to advance.


I seemed to have learned a lot tonight. I'm grateful for these life lessons (and for the late night Korean BBQ sitting happily in my stomach) and I leave you with the only quote that I can remember from tonight. It may not be verbatim but the gist of it is:


"Seek youth at every age."

No comments:

Post a Comment