Wednesday, January 5, 2011

My Tips To Becoming A Happier Person

1. Always be courteous.

Open doors for others. No matter their age, sex, race, just hold the damn door for other people! It's the little things in life that make a difference.




2. Take the time to enjoy what you are doing.

Mundane activities often feel mundane but if you slow down enough to think about what you are doing and why you are doing it, you may actually find enjoyment in daily activities. Something as simple as brushing your teeth can turn into a private rock and roll concert in your bathroom.

Turn something lame into a game!




3. Make time for yourself.

Our days are often filled with heavy activities that though seem mundane, also consume much time and energy. At the end of the day it feels like a huge burden to do anything other than flopping on your bed and falling into a droolful sleep.

But.

I have found through my personal experiences that spending personal private time is the best way to destress. I began reading more and organizing my rooms more and even cleaning became relaxing. Odd.

Now when I am upset and angry, I would take time out and just spend time with me me me.




4. Ditch technology once in a while

We use it every single day: cell phones, televisions, computers, ipod, itouch, itech, ieyes

Challenge yourself and turn off your devices every so often or purposely leave them at home. Go to dinner with friends and silence your phone, go on a hike with your family and sing loud obnoxious songs together without your ipod. Go take a weekend trip and don't sign onto Twitter for once.

Life went on without all these technologies before so there's no reason why you cannot live without them for a little bit.

...that is, of course, unless you are awaiting an important call like your wife is about to have a baby or your boss needs your confirmation or you are about to get a call from Obama...either circumstance.




5. Get some fresh air.

We don't all always have the chance to be outdoors to grab onto that opportunity like a dog to his tail. Step outside, even for a minute, and breathe in some fresh air.

Live in LA? Well... try to do it either in the early morning or late late night.




6. Back to the basics.

Sometimes we over-complicate life with questions and dramatized theories. But more often than not, the answer so simply sits in front of us. Just sit back, take a deep breath, and think.

When you are facing a dilemma, think of how it might parallel with something from your past. How did you deal with it then?

Since I have been teaching for the past 6 or so years, I have noticed that a lot of children handle issues just as adults would. More importantly, I've made the correlation between adults and children. I see how peers respond to issues as kids would. Hehe!




7. Don't wait to do something.

Waiting is for losers! Literally. If you wait too long for an opportunity and you do not seek what you most desire, you will lose it! I am a mighty procrastinator and often times I miss out. Well, no more stupid old me! Seize the day! Or at least don't procrastinate so much...




8. Enjoy your life, you only get one!

If you've always wanted to do something, just do it already. Waiting for approval? Waiting for encouragement? Encourage yourself!
If your life's desire is to eat that calorie filled cupcake, just eat it! How much happier would it make you!?! (this does not apply if you are struggling with health issues lol)

Want to see the world? Don't wait, start saving and make this dream happen =)




9. Appreciate what you do have and stop focusing on what you don't have.

I have uneven eyes, a large forehead, fake teeth, and a big ass. Oh and lots of moles.

Well, connect those moles and they spell out my name, who knows? Who else cares about your imperfections other than yourself? Who really notices? Who really will take time out of their lives to focus on you?

I'm going to be harsh but you are pretty self-centered if you believe that other people are obsessed with your bad hair days or mismatched outfit or your untrimmed bangs. Along with that, you need more things to do if you take time to focus on other people's imperfections. It's a two way street.

Instead, just enjoy life and make the most of your life by focusing on what you do have. What you like about yourself. I like that I am not obsessed with perfection, I like that I am painfully sarcastic at times, and I like that I can run around in a loud song and dance and my family would barely blink an eye.




10. Just laugh it off.

Life sucks sometimes, bad things can happen to good people, and there really isn't much we can do. The best thing I can think of doing is to find the good side of things and try to laugh it off. It's okay to feel bad and then it's time to move on.

I find that the laugh lines around my eyes and mouth make me unusually happy. Laughing is stress relieving and enjoyable. Laugh and live life! Laugh or I'll laugh at you.

No comments:

Post a Comment