Monday, November 8, 2010

New York tomorrow

I'm pretty sure I have a problem. I don't really know why the excitement has not hit me yet but once I board the plane tomorrow morning I will finally realize I am going to New York. A similar thing happened when I was heading to Uzbekistan...


But yes! I am going to New York after so many years of contemplating, thanks to my school's outreach program we are able to take some time off class to go see architecture in other states around the country.


I think I have been having a bit of a difficult time with my student design career lately. I keep trying but would often end up lost.



My whole semester thus far has been numb designing. 'Numb designing' is my new term to describe someone designing for the sake of finishing a project but not really thinking beyond the box and pushing through that barrier between practicality and creativity. It's definitely not a case of senioritis for me but more of a confusion.


I've been pondering to myself whether or not I am a good designer and whether or not I have valid ideas. Often times I feel like I have a great design only to find that it fell flat. Bummer.



It's always subjective of course and I am not that naive to believe that my work will ever be perfect. There are those who will always see themselves highly and those who will always bash their work. I am neither.



My professor told me that I needed to break out in my designs. He said that I was a talented designer with great ideas. But that I was very timid so I start off well and end up just short of "amazing."


I understand what he means though... J says I should think of how I usually approach a program and then take a step back and take it a step further. I want to get better and I want to succeed. My confidence is low lately but I know I will bounce back.



My new project is to design a library for Golden West College. And I'm going to try to bring my design to another level.



Eat your heart out Harry Potter

1 comment: