Thursday, August 6, 2009

The Life of a Design Student

So I often get asked by friends and family to help give design tips and advice. It is such a flattering thing to be asked and I always feel very honored. Here's the problem.

So let's say my dad will ask me to choose an appropriate piece of furniture for our living room. I go through many magazines and many websites for inspiration before I make any sort of decision. I would then excitedly run to my dad and announce my advice only to be greeted by a puzzled frown. He would list all the reasons why my choice would not work and spend a lot of time afterward to give me a variety of the same type of furniture from his special 'dad' catalog. Right when we approach the furniture store, he will see what I chose and reluctantly agree to purchase it. Once it is settled in the room his eyes will light up with excitement and suddenly start congratulating my choice.

This drives me insane! And yes, it DOES happen all the time. It is such a flattering thing to be asked for design decisions as I am still a student. But I think all the second-guessing and snide looks kind of ruin the moment. Don't get me wrong, it is frustrating but funny and I am happy as long as everyone is happy at the end of the day.

By the way, the furniture story was not true. It was actually a paint story...yes...he asked me to design a paint color. ???

2 comments: