Saturday, July 4, 2009

Happy Fireworks Day!

Happy Independence Day to those who celebrate it! I wish everyone a safe and enjoyable day of barbeques, swimming, and colorful fireworks!

To hide from the crowds of people gathering in parks and beaches, my family and I have decided to celebrate by buying takeout and watching the unrelated film, Independence Day.

Remember that film? Well, if not - what are you waiting for?

I could not think of a better time to share a fun story with everyone than this very day of firework-ing. Last night, my dad revealed to us that years ago (and when I say years ago, I do mean YEARS ago) he had a firecracker explode in his hands. While this surprised me, it did definitely was not considered a 'shocker.' My intellectually superior father never ceases to amaze me with all his infinite wisdom and methods. I gazed at him with admiration as he informed us all that every youthful boy in his neighborhood use to justify their means of existence by taking turns to throw firecrackers at one another during Chinese New Year celebrations.

"Did you have rules against hitting each other's heads or faces?"

"No, we just threw them."

Yes, boys will be boys... Or what I meant to say is: what?!

The male brain is either insanely creative or insanely foolish. I suppose I should just be happy that no limbs were lost but I heed this warning to all those who were planning anything crazy. Please be careful and have fun!

"Tonight we celebrate our Independence Day!"

2 comments:

  1. my dad said he put firecrackers in people's mailboxes when he was little... yea, boys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha no wonder they banned it!

    ReplyDelete